This post was written 1 year ago and therefore may not be as accurate as more recent posts.
Malcolm Coles: How I earned loads of Links by ignoring SEO
— Malcolm Coles (@malcolmcoles) April 24, 2014
- Lemonly – infographics, keep mobile in mind and try to make infographics responsive as readership is still very large on mobile devices.
- Headlines – should be aiming to get people to read worthwhile, educative content
- Dumbing-down that won’t last – need a more long-term vision for content production
- People don’t share profanity so try to exclude from titles or structured data.
- AB testing headlines – this is something you can do to see if the title is better for shareability. Also experiment with social structured data.
- Most Facebook users browse on their mobile so ensure any shareable content is going to be viewed well on them.
- “Newsjacking” – Wayne Rooney salary calculator as an example – almost forces a link if users have to see it to understand the story
- The importance of collaboration – most affirmed generation in history
Pete Handley’s SEO audit checklist
Although the slides do cover most, here’s some more notes… (also, Pete is awesome)
- Canonical tags – trailing slashes may be an issue so make sure they’re covering all possible dupe content issues
- Optimise – mapping keywords to pages is something you should do and be on top of.
- Sitemaps – use different Sitemaps for measuring indexation levels on different areas of the site. Here you’ll be able to knuckle down any indexation issues on a section/page level much easier.
- Alt tagging – not used as much but ensure you do it, as well as making relevant filenames
- HREF Lang – it’s a complex process. Having an XML sitemap over inline tagging makes life easier
Adrian Durow – Think Eyes… Not Keywords
- Authorship markup won’t necessarily work, but more authors on a page tend to increase residual trust
- Domain names do make a difference for authority
- Naturally attracted attention – sales worthy language – review and number language, eg “3 reasons etc”